Saturday, January 5, 2008

Inspiration

So I've been scouting locations for the spring shoot with Peter Baker, since he suggested we hit the road and get out of the studio for the next shoot. I emailed Kate, my friend/super model/commercial real estate agent and said we're looking for a raw space on a top floor, hopefully with open space next to us, and she hooked us up with an amazing space in Bridgeport- a factory on the river being converted into multi-use by a great guy, Ed Piquette. I was floored. When we reached the top level, it hit to me- Gorodish's loft apartment in one of my favorite movies, Diva. The scene, where he's in the claw foot bath tub-the one in the middle of the room, and the moonlight is falling through all the windows, making a path of rectangle's on the floor , as Alba walks in, late, barefoot, inspired from the "amazing trip" she's gone on with Jules, through the Diva's music. So I rented it, and it held up. Big time. That doesn't happen often. I'd like to think I could pull a dress out of the closet I made in 1982 and wear it out the door, but I fear I'd look more Patti Smyth than Patti Smith. Inspiration comes from every where-from the creative people you have the pleasure of working with, from a song you heard, a fabric you stumble across. And sometimes it hits you upside the head when you least expect it. Cause God knows I've got Spring's menswear muse cemented in my brain. He's Gorodish. Except it's 2008, he's out of the tub, and he's wearing my pants.

No comments: