Saturday, April 30, 2011

Here Comes the Dress

Someone asked me today "Do you think Kate's dress will bring you lots of brides?" and I thought he meant our mutual friend (and mode)l Kate, whose wedding gown I made 2 years ago, but he didn't, he meant THE DRESS on THAT Cate. Oy. Quite frankly, I loved the dress I made MY Kate better that THAT dress, but the fact that was on this guy's mind just shows how important your wedding gown choice is. I'm so happy for the house of McQueen, because that man was a genius, and a master tailor who made some beautiful clothes, and this will help his business and name carry on. I would have loved to see what he'd have done with THE DRESS, but I loved the choice of silk gazaar, and the graceful back pouring into the train. I would have liked to see a more modern lace used, and the sleeve a little longer, but that's my nit-picky, professional, rip her to shreds side. My polite regular side thought she looked lovely. Except her face was smushed by her veil. Whoops. I'll stop now. I can't believe how many people, many with no wedding in their immediate future, watch that Godforsaken 'Say Yes to the Dress' show, and the hideous parade of tripe they send out. I used to think there was no such thing as an ugly bride until that show came on, recording train wreck after train wreck. And I'm not just talking silk ones, and I don't throw around the term ugly very freely. It's the excess that kills me. On all levels. The money, the attitudes, and the complete loss of what is important. A wedding gown should reflect the bride's personality, and the setting. Period. No one else has to be happy, just the bride. Then she moves on to the important thing-getting and staying married. When I make a wedding gown, the first thing I ask is the where and when, and then "How do you want to feel on that day?" Maybe you want to feel like a a princess, maybe you want to look hot, maybe you want to look like Grace Kelly, and maybe you just want a dress to have a great party in, and it happens to be white. I've heard it all. Actually, I'm sure I haven't. But that's the fun part-never knowing who will walk in the door, and what adventure you'll go on in Fabricland. It's great honor to be chosen to make anyone's wedding gown, be they a future princess, the girl next door, or her mother going for another go at it with someone she hopes is the love of her life. The whole process should be as beautiful as the product. At least on my end. Good luck with the rest....

No comments: