Monday, May 12, 2008

Present and Future, Learned from the Past

No, No, no,don't worry- I'm sober. But maybe too sober, like most of us these days. Bad news is everywhere. But so is bad design. I'm doing Fall, making Spring, and it's almost Summer. Frankly, with that schedule, I should drink. But with a wary eye to excess, I wonder what we'll all need come September. Will we need to escape? Will clothing be fantasy, disguised as reality? Or will we batten down the hatches to prepare for the bumpy night? I know, it's just a skirt, right? Well, not really. How you dress, how you look-it's a loaded gun. Are you too sexy for work? Are you too uptight for the party? Are you too mom-sy 24 hours a day? And does any of it make you look fat? By learning from my immediate past, as in this season, I can see you need to look like you can handle anything. Nothing too fragile. And when it does double duty-day into night, trans-seasonal, it's a keeper. But sometimes, when it's extra special, when it had never occurred to you that you might actually 'need' it, because you never knew it existed, but now that you've met, well......"Excuse me, Embroidered Plum and Black Velvet Coat-I couldn't help noticing you from across the room...Can I buy you?"

No comments: