Sunday, February 10, 2008

More Frock, Less Talk?

So with 2 weeks to the show, the logistics are being analyzed-model/oufit order, final song picks, even pre-show soundtrack. And the biggest issue for me is the chatter. Do I, or don't I? Last season, I was going to just send the models out, since we were onstage, not doing luncheon tables, or a country club setting. But I always hear "I love the commentary", more than I hear, or more likely overhear someone saying "I'd rather just look at the clothes". Now I am not a fan of director's cuts, but with clothing coming so close to home-I make it, we fit it,you wear it -I sometimes find it helps to say "you can't put x with y" and see how it appears like an epiphany to clients that you can mix it up, and not only do it as it's shown. And I also think it makes it more human. In the design industry, this is frowned upon. "Must be above the fray. No talking to 'the little people'.. Which is why the industry is failing the client. I can be as affected as any Eurotrash trouser peddler you'll ever run across. I can tell you my abstract influences, and prattle on about how Rothko's depth of colour changed my life. But maybe I can do it with a sense of humor while you watch 3 months of work pass by in 20 minutes, and make more of a connection. Or maybe not. I'd love to know what you think, so let me know.

No comments: